In Search Of...In Search Of


No, I didn’t make a mistake with that title. I am talking about the reboot of In Search Of on the History Channel. I admit, my first thought hearing it was coming was, don’t do it. Some things just should not be remade. ( If anybody tries to remake the original version of Star Wars, it’s game on). But History Channel ignored my emails and sent a restraining order out instead. Harassment or some such thing.

So, it aired and I popped my popcorn and settled in. I thought, I like Zachary Quinto, so this could be good. But then the theme was starting and I thought, they couldn’t dig up Leonard Nimoy, so they picked the guy who played him on tv..I don’t know, that’s like seeing a hologram concert, But, they did become close friends and Leonard seemed to respect him playing his Star Trek character, so he would probably have approved of this, as well.


Missing Leonard’s deep monotone voice goes without saying, but this version was set up a bit different, Zachary didn’t stick to narration, he went out and interviewed and interacted with the witnesses etc. in his defense. I will say, he wanted to mix it up and not just do studio narration. I’m not sure yet if this is his strong suit. He said his love of Leonard and interest in the subject matter was the draw for him. But, if he is interested in the subject matter, he has yet to prove it to me on screen. Not to say he won’t settle into it, and get more comfortable by season end. Spock would not be an exciting interviewer, so maybe Zachary as Spock hosting Leonard’s show was a lot to ask of him. 


This reboot probably won’t be a problem for most viewers that didn’t grow up with, or watch reruns of the show, or of Star Trek for that matter. But for most of the Bigfoot researchers and enthusiasts they will either say In Search Of Bigfoot Episode or The Legend of Boggy Creek was what led them to this path they were on now. This reboot is messing with their childhood nostalgia. It made my mother a firm believer, who made me a firm believer, so same effect really for me. 

The original version of the show made a very calculated decision using Leonard Nimoy, make no mistake. They knew most likely the fans of Star Trek was most likely going to be their target audience. Sure there was other Sci Fi and Mystery shows on television before this. But this show was presenting this information as possible fact for a mass audience every week. It was real people, who didn’t look or sound crazy, they looked like you and me. The equivalent in those days to all us getting our information off of the internet now. But these are new viewers too so we don’t really need that connection now. So Zachary wasn’t their only possible choice. 


Of course there are other things that just can’t be substituted. That scary music, Leonard’s deep voice and old grainy film feel all combined together. I watched  every episode again on YouTube just recently and that show was scary. This feel is something you are never going to be able to recreate. But again. I have only watched two episodes, so it could get better. I mean we have to watch the Bigfoot episode right? No pressure Zachary, it will only make and break your paranormal career when the Bigfoot enthusiast come for you with pitchforks. And don’t bother running and hiding, because finding someone that is hiding is our thing, and most have more equipment to film then the History Channel themselves. And don’t forget the added bonus of night vision goggles too. All said and done this is just my opinion and I always feel you should give something a chance, because you never know you might love it..

In Search Of...Bigfoot episode 

https://youtu.be/gQJAYVbslIE

Interview with Zachary Quinto on his new role,

https://people.com/tv/zachary-quinto-in-search-of-leonard-nimoy/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Does Exist..The Semi-Autobiographical Tale of Dyatlov Pass

A Moment with a Monster 

Booger Funnels...