The Barrens...

“I thought I saw the Jersey Devil up around the bend, thought I saw the Jersey Devil dancing in his moccasins..”

I had some extra time to hang on the couch and watch a movie today. So I pulled up Tubi and found the movie The Barrens, staring Stephen Moyer. (True Blood)

The movie was about the infamous Jersey Devil, who is said to live in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey. I have been in the Wharton State Forest where this movie is supposedly taking place, and I can tell you there is something special about that forest. 


Could it house the Jersey Devil? Yes it could, and a lot of other things as well. The Pinelands are over A million acres, It is very easy to be lost out there and dense enough for things to hide in plain sight. I couldn’t even see my sister when she went around a bend. The movie however did not capitalize on this naturally creepy location, they did not film on location in the Barrens, instead for monetary reasons they filmed in Toronto, Canada. I understand that it probably saved them a bundle, but if you are going to tell the story of the Jersey Devil then you better get your ass into the Barrens and make it authentic. 


Me in the Barrens in Wharton State Forest 

The movie opens with a couple being chased by something, you can’t really tell what it is. Then it goes to the main cast, with the dad having to put their family dog down. And then deciding to take his family on a camping trip in the Barrens to scatter his father’s remains and have some family bonding time. That’s when things go down hill..


Almost as soon as they get there the father (played by Moyer) slowly becomes paranoid, delusional and well, mean. You are not sure if he is actually seeing the Jersey Devil or if he is imagining it. And I’m not going to say which because it’s a plot spoiler and I don’t want to do that to you. I can tell you that if you were lost for real In that forest at night you would be delusional too. 

Despite filming location, I really enjoyed this movie. It had you guessing what is real and what is not. It had a good cast, great theme song called “The Jersey Devil”  by Kevin Welsh. And finally a good creature.( real or imaginary) Had they just filmed actually in the Barrens we may then be talking cult classic here. 


From a trail in Wharton State Forest 

I still recommend it, and I also really recommend hitting the Pine Barrens In Wharton State Forest to feel its magic and aura for yourself. We went through getting lost, having no phones, filming a UFO and the New Jersey Turnpike to get there, so for you it should be a cakewalk..

Information on The Pine Barrens:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Barrens_(New_Jersey)

Kevin Welsh singing The Jersey Devil:

https://youtu.be/nHdhq3YTgeo

Copyright © November 2018, property of Bigfoot Mountain all rights reserved 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He Does Exist..The Semi-Autobiographical Tale of Dyatlov Pass

Booger Funnels...

A Moment with a Monster